• Rough Night With Child

    Date: 2011.11.03 | Category: Baby, Family, Health, Home, Life, Mark, Me, Sarah | Tags:

    I really really love having a child, but there are some moments where I wonder, “Will I ever have the energy to do this AGAIN?”

    Last night was rough. Sarah woke up around 2 a.m., Mark went in and got her back to sleep.

    Then she woke up again at 4 a.m. I knew Mark was having trouble sleeping, so I got up and went in. That was my first mistake. When she sees me, she thinks it’s time to eat. I changed her diaper and attempted to lay her back down.

    And while her new found skill of pulling up is great and all, for some reason she thinks any time we lay her down she has to find a way to pull herself up to a stand… even if she’s past the point of exhaustion.

    So I laid her down, she immediately grabbed the crib bars, pulled up and proceeded to shake them violently while screaming at the top of her lungs. I made several attempts to get her to lay back down, including attempts to actually physically hold her down so she couldn’t pull herself up. That resulted in more screaming. I even got desperate enough to actually try a pacifier again, which resulted in more anger.

    Frustrated, I made my second mistake. I pulled her out of bed and fed her. See, we’ve been attempting to completely take out the early morning feeding to get her to sleep through the night. This has only been successful four times. But I knew feeding her usually gets her back to sleep. And it did.

    Until I laid her back down and then she was up quicker than a fox and back on those bars screaming her head off.

    More rocking. The whole time I was starting to get a better and better appreciation of that book, Go the F**k to Sleep. And then, at last, she was asleep again… until the d$%^ dogs took off down the laminate hallway clacking their loud toenails and woke her up again.

    More rocking. And then finally, at 5:30 a.m., SLEEP!

    Until 6:00 a.m. Then more crying and shaking of the crib bars.

    At the end of my rope, I got up and brought her into bed with us. Mark rolled over long enough to mumble that I was starting a bad habit by putting her in our bed. At which point I glowered at him and told him that I was at the end of my rope and she was either sleeping with us or HE was getting up with her.

    He rolled over and went back to sleep.

    Sarah drifted off to sleep… only to be awoken five minutes later by the grizzly bear snores of the husband… who I kicked and told he needed to figure out a way to control that loud snoring or I SWORE I WAS GOING TO SHOVE A PILLOW DOWN HIS THROAT.

    He grunted and covered his head with the blankets. Sarah went to sleep again. And I went to sleep, only dream about mythological creatures attempting to kill and mutilate one another.

    And then we woke up an hour later, well past time to get up for work. I rushed to get ready. My gas light came on on the way to work and at least three people pulled out in front of me. When I finally walked in 15 minutes late, my boss took one look at me and said, “Rough night with child?”

    I think he felt too sorry for me to give me a hard time for being late.