• Shingles and Lightning

    Date: 2012.06.12 | Category: Baby, Dogs, Family, Health, Home, Mark, Pets, Sarah, Travel, Weirdness | Tags:

    It started with thunder and lightning that looked like the paparazzi was stationed outside our windows at 4:00 a.m. this morning.

    Within a minute, the dogs, who we pressure gate into the living room, had taken the gate down with the force of two raging bulls, making the gate scatter across the hard floor, before running full steam down our laminate hallway (toenails clacking) and jumped into our bed in shivering balls of fear.

    Shortly after that, the dog noises lead to a screaming baby and the dogs themselves had managed to wedge themselves under my shoulders in the bed.

    It was a fun night.


    Not to be outdone, Mark has been complaining about his shoulder being sore the past three days.

    Me: “Like muscle sore?”

    Him: “No, like my skin hurts when I touch it.”

    There were no marks or rashes, so I didn’t think much of it. Then today he sent me a photo of the back of his neck and it looked like it had been attacked by an angry poison ivy wielding spider. I freaked and told him to call the doctor.

    By the time I got home for lunch and looked at it, I was surprised to see angry welts that started at the back of his neck and formed a line all the way down his right shoulder. I knew what it was immediately thanks to my poor friend Lori – The Shingles.

    So in he went and the doctor confirmed my suspicions. He told Mark he better thank whoever made him come in early (win for me!).

    I then quickly called the pediatrician’s office to make sure Sarah had had her chicken pox vaccine. The answer was, “No, and she can’t until she’s 15 months old.” (For those keeping count, Sarah is currently 14 months and some change). Instead, the nurse told me to just keep them separate. Yea, that’s easy, especially with six plane rides scheduled next week for the three of us. Oh yea, and Mark will be her primary caregiver while I’m in a conference three days next week out of town.

    Fortunately, the pediatric nurse did put a note in to the doctor who had them call me back and schedule Sarah to come in tomorrow morning for her shot.

    In the mean time Mark has to take three horse pills a day and keep his shingles covered up. Fortunately, since they caught it so early, he should be fine in a week – but I’m still not going to let him hold my friend’s new baby when we visit.

    I’m trying to figure out what it is about traveling that makes our family come down with all different manifestations of the plague. Maybe we should stop planning trips and spontaneously but plane tickets instead.